Boxing Results: Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz loses to Mercito “Guerrero No Mercy” Gesta!

By Ken Hisner: At the Walter Pyramid, Long Beach, California on Saturday on DAZN Oscar De La Hoya (Golden Boy Promotions) presented former Olympic lightweight Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz, Jr. in the Main Event, losing a split decision to Mercito “Guerrero No Mercy” Win over ten rounds.

In the main event, lightweight Oscar Durarte knocked out Alex “Chi-Town Heat” Martin in the eighth round.

In the Main Event, former Olympian Light southpaw Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz, Jr., 32-4-1 (15), #139 ½, of Downey, CA, lost a split decision to southpaw Mercito “Guerrero No Mercy” Gesta, 34-3-3 (17), #137 ½, of San Diego, CA, in 10 rounds.

In the first two rounds Gesta had an advantage. In the third and fourth rounds, Diaz came back well enough to take the rounds. In the fifth round, Diaz finished as the stronger of the two after a tight round that had Gesta on the ropes.

In rounds six and seven, Diaz continued to chase Gesta but was countered well. In round eight, Diaz came back well as Gesta seemed to be slowing down. In the ninth round, Gesta began to move around the ring with Díaz chasing after him and countering with many punches. In the tenth and final round, Gesta continued to move with Diaz catching him with a right hook to the chin with a minute remaining, but was countered. The referee was Ray Corona.

The scores were 97-93 Díaz, 99-91 Gesta, 98-92 Gesta with 96-94 Gesta for this writer.

In the Co-Main Event Light Oscar Durate, 25-1-1 (20), #135 ½, of Chihuahua, MEX, knocked out southpaw Alex “Chi-Town Heat” Martin, 18-5 (6), #136, from Chicago, IL, at 1:14 of the eighth round of a 10.

Through the first two rounds, Martin seemed to be way ahead until the closing seconds of the second round, when Durate hit Martin with a right hand to the chin, forcing him to hold out until the bell. In the third and fourth rounds, Durate was on offense chasing Martin. In the fifth round, they each had their moments with Martin having the upper hand.

In the sixth round, Durate hurt Martín with right hands to the chin several times, taking the round. In the seventh round, Durate suffered a cut to his right eyebrow. In the eighth round, after one minute, Durate caught a right hand to the chin and went down as referee Jerry Cantu issued a count of 8. Martin managed to beat the count but on shaky legs. Durate charged at him and dropped him again with a right hand to the chin as referee Cantu deflected it.

Super Welter Eric Tudor, 8-0 (6), #153 ½, of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, defeated Damoni Cato-Cain, 7-1-1 (6), #152 ¾, of Oakland, CA, in 8 rounds.

In the first three rounds, the taller Tudor used an effective jab as Cato-Cain kept switching orthodox and regained confidence as the fight continued. In the fourth round due to a head butt Tudor suffered a cut on his forehead. Tudor went on the offensive until he rang the bell.

In round six, Cato-Cain’s left eye began to close from Tudor’s right. Midway through round seven, a pair of Tudor rights to the chin rocked Cato-Cain. In the eighth and final round, Cato-Cain rocked Tudor a minute into the round with a right hand to the chin. At the last minute Tudor drew blood from Cato-Cain’s nose with a right hand to the nose. The referee was Jack Reiss.

The scores were 80-72 and 78-74 twice with this writer being 78-74.

In the opening Super Featherweight bout Patricio “Cacahuate” Manuel, 2-0 (0), #129, of LA, CA, defeated Hien Huynh, 1-2 (0), #125 ½, of St. Louis by technical decision , MO, at 0:56 of the 4th round.

In the first round, Manuel, returning after four years, dropped Huynh to an 8 count by referee Jack Reiss. In the third round, Manuel dropped Huynh again with a right hand to the chin and was given a count of 8 by referee Reiss. In the fourth and final round, Huynh suffered a nasty cut to his right eyebrow after a headbutt. which prompted referee Reiss to call the ringside doctor, who called a halt.

Super Feather Dalis Kaleiopu, 4-0 (3), #130 ½, of Waianae, HI, defeated Jonathan “Popeye” Perez, 40-35 (32), #131, of Barranquilla, COL, in 6 boring rounds.

In the first two rounds, the much taller Kaleiopu used his jab to prevent Perez from countering for the most part. In the third round, Pérez continued to advance on the warning that Pérez hit Kaleiopu behind the head. Referee Ray Corona eventually took a point from him near the end of the round.

In the last minute of the fifth round, again Referee Corona deducted a point from Pérez for excessive grip. In the sixth and final round, the last forty seconds, Kaleiopu rocked Perez with a left uppercut to the chin. Pérez managed to hold on to reach the bell.

The scores were 60-52 by all 3 judges and this writer.

Feather Jorge Chavez, 5-0 (4), #125 ½, of San Diego, CA, knocked out Bryan Perez, 12-17-1 (11), #129 ½, of Managua, NIC, at 0: 30 from the first round of a 4.

Half a minute into the first round, Chávez landed a four-punch combination that ended with a left hook that dropped Pérez onto his back as referee Jerry Cantú stopped him.

Ring Announcer Joe Martinez

Leave a Comment